January 3, 2010

Recent Reads

1. The Best American Comics 2008
Quite fun. I loved reading comics as a kid - especially those from India. This is not a book for kids though.

2. Journal Bliss
Did not like this book much. Some interesting ideas, but on the whole did not work for me.

3. Images Art Workshop
Some interesting ideas for how to alter images. But would not recommend the book.

4. Echo Park
Perfect road trip audio book. If you have not met Harry Bosch, this is a fun mystery series.

5. The Overlook
Another road trip audio book. Do not bother with this one. It is the next in the Harry Bosch series after Echo Park, but the author must have written it in a weekend to meet a deadline. Does not have the depth of his other work.

6. The Almost Moon
I was shocked while reading this book. Here is the first line: "When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily." It took me almost 3 weeks to finish this book - granted it is not a good holidays with family type of read. Excellent writing. Pulled me right in. But I could only read a handful of pages at a times, and had to put it down and come back to it. There are images that will stay with me a long time. It is such an insightful look at the parent-child relationship across generations. Would highly recommend it.

No comments: