April 28, 2014

Recent Reads

50. An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
Book blurb: A funny thing happened on my way to middle age. I became an athlete. And not just any athlete, but a runner—all without taking a running step until I was 43 years old. 

This is a memoir about how the author went from being a couch potato who was "overweight, uninspired, and saddled with a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoking habit" to running. In parts funny, in parts poignant, with some learned-the-hard-way lessons shared, this is a fun read for runners and other "adult-onset athletes". Rating: 3 stars.


51. Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus
Book blurb: From Greek myths to zombie flicks, from the laboratory heroics of Louis Pasteur to the contemporary search for a lifesaving treatment, Rabid is a fresh, fascinating, and often wildly entertaining look at one of mankind’s oldest and most fearsome foes.

I listened to this on audio narrated by Johnny Heller, and while I did not love the narrator, I found the topics covered in this book fascinating. This is really a biography of Rabies, and covers its history, our co-evolution with animals, particular dogs, mythology and legends, literature and film, science, medicine, and the search for a cure. Seriously though, they had me at vampires and werewolves! This well researched book reads like a thriller, and I connected so many dots while enjoying this fascinating ride. So why not 5 stars? Because I did not love the narration, and the book could have used better editing in parts.  Rating: 4 stars.


52. The Walking Dead, Vol. 05: The Best Defense
Volume 5 contains issues 25-30.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, zombies are not the scary part of this story. Something happens that makes a couple of people leave the prison to investigate. I thought I would be happy to get away from the whining for a while, but I was so wrong! A little whining never hurt anyone. There are some very disturbing developments in this installment, and I actually had nightmares last night. Note to self: do not read this series before bed. Rating: 3 stars.


53. Watercolor: Paintings of Contemporary Artists
This is not a book you read as much as one you look at. Think of it this way: You hold in your hands a portable gallery of the portfolios of various artists who play with watercolor. As with any gallery viewing, I loved some work more than others, but overall am inspired by seeing how far these artists have pushed the medium in their work. Rating: 3 stars.

No comments: