January 3, 2014

One Little Word 2014

If you read my blog, you know that rather than make resolutions, I pick a word each year. I've discovered that having a word as a focus, shapes my year dramatically. I am affected physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually in unexpected ways.

Past years:
2008: Health and Wealth
2009: Passion
2010: Connect
2011: Explore
2012: Light


My word for 2013 was Begin, and each month I paired my word with a theme and set three goals.

Beginnings are hard. The outcome is often unsure, and failure is a very real option. It was the perfect word for me. I learned much about myself and my world view, and got to know intimately those voices in my head. I did things I would not have thought myself capable of. I had failures too, but I moved the ball forward, and that was often enough. I remember reading someplace that we set these goals for ourselves, and them beat ourselves up when we fail to meet them. Crazy making no? So, I am learning to be okay with good enough. I don't like it. But I keep beginning.

My word for 2014 is CULTIVATE. Here are some facets that excite me:
Tend | Grow | Harvest | Plant | 
To nurture or foster | Enrich | Elevate | Woo

I wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who read along, share your journey, and inspire me. May 2014 be the best year yet.

No comments: