January 28, 2014

Journal page: Creation process

I decided to capture the creation stages of my most recent journal page.

Step 1: Apply masking tape in a random pattern.

Step 2: Gesso the pages.

Step 3: When gesso is dry (or maybe not as in my case), spread acrylic paint all over the pages.

Step 4: The messier the better. Though to be honest, I was a little horrified with it at this stage. Here is a closeup of the mess. Nice textures no?

Step 5: How much worse can it really get? I pulled out a stencil and watered down black acrylic paint in a spray bottle and did some spraying. Not really much of an improvement.

Step 6: Might as well go all in. Circles stamped with white acrylic and a bottle top.

Step 7: Closeup of the mess. Was liking it more at this point.

Step 8: It need something. Had just read Saga, Vol.1, and thought an image from there would perfectly capture the mood I was in. Traced it, and glued down the tracing paper image with gel medium.

Step 9: Painted her with watercolors, and gave her a border to make her pop out from all that textured mess. Final step was a date stamp.

And there you have it, a true mixed media spread. I realized only afterwards how well it reflected my mood that day, and how playing in my journal helped soothe me, and get it all out. 

Thanks for checking in.

No comments: