March 14, 2012

Recent Reads

25. The Oracle of Stamboul
I continue to be immersed in books set in Turkey in anticipation of my upcoming trip. Decided to try this book based on a reco from a BOTNS reader, and I liked it.

I'm in an audio book groove at the moment, so listened to this book on walks, and doing chores around the house. The story is set in the late 1800s Istanbul, and is about young Eleonora Cohen, a savant. I loved how precocious she is, and how well read. Her passion for books, and her brains often gets her into trouble in a world where to stick out is not a good thing. While it was a fun story, I thought that the author lacked the skill to add much depth to the characters, and ambiance of the city.

26. Frommer's Turkey
As guide books go this is a good one. Not great, but good.

27. Globejotting: How to Write Extraordinary Travel Journals (and still have time to enjoy your trip!)
This is the 4th or 5th time I've read this book. I keep journals on trips. Well, travel art journals really, and I read this book before trips to remind me of some really great tips.

No comments: