March 4, 2012

Recent Movies

I love movies. Always have. But not so much the ones that Hollywood makes these days. Guess I am not in the 15-25 year old demographic they are wooing. And I know I'm an old foggie, but does anyone else miss those huge old-style movie theaters? The ones with balcony seating? Anyways here are some movies I've seen recently on a much, much tinnier screen.

1. Warrior
This is one of the better movies I have seen lately. The story of a broken, dysfunctional family, and how a father and his sons navigate the wreckage of their relationships. I would not consider this a sports movie, though much of the action centers on MMA (mixed martial arts). While I found myself cringing during the fight scenes, I loved how the movie explores physical damage versus emotional/psychological damage, and how the former heals faster and cleaner.

2. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
No. No. No. This is what I kept saying - aloud - throughout this movie. I loved, loved the book. A beautiful and heartbreaking story that the movie version made boring. Sigh.

3. Water for Elephants
I loved this book as well. Such a wonderful read. The movie was not great, but at least it was not boring. The vampire dude should stick to vampire roles - though I do not like him in those either. The star of the show other than Rosie, the elephant, is Christoph Waltz who plays the ringleader. His acting is luminous.

No comments: