October 6, 2006

Foot Binding


(Click on images to see larger)

This topic has been on my mind since reading the book "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. I'll write a review of the book later, wanted to comment on several things:



1. I do not think that I appreciate my feet enough. So have started to regularly slather them with lotion and give myself a good foot massage.

2. While reading the book, I was actually in tears at the time the main character has her foot bound - guess I never really thought about how it was done. And now that I know, I am not sure I am better for it.

3. A couple of women met at Laurels to discuss the book (not my regular book club) and one of the things I asked the group was "what is so appealing about helpless women in all cultures?" Okay so we don't have foot binding as the Chinese practiced it, but look at this:










Is that not a form of foot binding? Jimmy Cho is spitting on his white persian rug at the moment I'm sure. But honestly, what gives with wearing shoes that "look great, but I cannot walk in"?

One woman last night nailed it for me - "It makes my ass look higher".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummmmmm last time I checked high heels don't permanently and painfully disfigure a woman's foot?