October 13, 2006

Daily Walks

When I started working in tech again, I decided that this time around, I was going to be diligent about having more balance in my life. Make the time to play, read, do things that fill my batteries. One of the commitments I made to myself was that I would take a daily walk. And I am quite proud of myself. I have only missed one day since I started work 4 weeks ago.

I usually go out first thing in the morning – cannot wake up enough to have a conversation with myself – as I talk myself out of it (too cold, too tired, etc). I’m on my walk around 5:30am, and it has quickly become one of the favorite parts of my day. Something I do just for me.

I get to greet the morning and slowly wake up outside as my heart gets pumping. I get a chance to noodle over things that happened the day before, or plan things that need to happen that day. I watch the leaves turn, the moon wax and wane, the stars twinkle, the clouds change shapes, the birds and little critters wake up.

As we head towards the Winter Solstice, the days shorten, and my entire walk is in the dark. Not really being able to see has its own rewards. I rely less on what I can see and am more tuned in to what I hear and smell.

This has become a daily ritual that sustains me.

No comments: