October 20, 2006

Cat Presents

Rafiki loves to bring me presents. Usually it is still alive when he lays it at my feet.

This morning, my present was a little field mouse. Do I know the difference between a field and house mouse? I do not. But since it was brown, assumed that meant it was a field mouse.

The little guy was in a state of shock. Rafiki drops it near my yoga mat while I’m in the boat pose. Well, got out of the boat in a flash. Must have startled the mouse who made a quick get-a-away dash. Yelled at Rafiki to “get him” and he obediently brought the mouse back. Frantically looked for a rag/towel/shirt to pick it up in, and then let him go outside. The little mouse fled down the stairs into the early morning darkness.

So here is my dilemma. Can one really scold a cat for showing love in the way he is programmed to show it? And to add to the confusion, I did tell him to catch it when it was trying to escape. At least this gift was living. Other gifts have not been so lucky, and then the entire saga takes on a dark tinge. The most exciting gifts are the ones that get away and hide under furniture. Ever tried to catch a chipmunk? They are darn fast.

No comments: