October 13, 2006

Commute

I spent the first week at work trying a different route to and from work each day. Found that time on the highways made me tense and I’d arrive at work with my shoulders tight. Decided to try back roads, and have found the perfect one. It takes me past farms, a river and ponds. It is windy and offers much to look at. The places where traffic back up are not too bad.

I listen to audio books on my drive. Discovered the joy of audio books several years ago, and find them perfect for books that I am not hot to actually read myself, but am interested in.

Not all books make good audio books. They must be written well. Be read by someone whose voice and reading style does not put your teeth on edge. Not require too much concentration – at least for me.

I’ve listened to both fiction and non-fiction audio books. Last week I laughed my way to and from work listening to a Jimmy Tingle CD. The guy is really funny. Am currently listening to “The Hungry Tide” by Amitav Ghosh. So far so good.

No comments: