January 24, 2013

The First Book-less Public Library

A book-less library. It sounds like an oxymoron, but come the fall of 2013, San Antonio's Bexar County is going to be home to the BiblioTech, the country's first book-less public library. Of course, there will be books -- just e-books, not physical books.

You can read the article here.


I have conflicted feelings about this. I love physical books, and visit my local library several times a week. Sometimes I drop in to return checked out items. Other times I'm there to pick up requested items. And less frequently since I got a nook, I spent several hours simply browsing the shelves. It is my local community center, where the librarians know my name. Can you tell that I love my library? On the other hand, I can certainly see the advantages of a book-less library. I have used my library's online ebook system almost daily for over a year now . I request, check out, return, and put items on hold without ever leaving my chair. So love that too. See why I am conflicted about this news? I want both options. 


What do you think about the notion of a book-less library?

No comments: