January 13, 2013

Recent Reads

Here's hoping for a new year of great reads.

1. Contents May Have Shifted
My first thought is that this book is not a novel. Though it states that it is on the cover, in that heart shaped cloud. Towards the end of the book, the author says that she thought of titling the book "Suicide Notes: 144 Reasons Not to Kill Yourself". And that title would really have worked much better in terms of setting expectations. I did however enjoy reading what to me seemed liked travel vignettes and journal entries. I liked the honesty and non-linearity of the writing, and realized that I am not nearly grateful enough when my planes land safely, and that I really should step off and kiss the ground each and every time. Rating: 3 stars.

2. Drama
This graphic novel is set in middle school, and deals with some of the typical issues kids go through at that age - finding your niche, crushes, figuring out your sexuality, etc. The graphics are fun and colorful, and I really liked that the main character, Callie, is a girl who is comfortable in her own skin. Rating: 3 stars.

3. A Kiss Before You Go: An Illustrated Memoir of Love and Loss
This visual memoir covers the year after the author's wife dies. Danny writes about the highs and lows, the dark and light, the transcendent and the mundane, that is life after the loss of a loved one. The text is accompanied by drawings that are personal and draw you in, and I'd suggest reading this in print form. The colors are rich, the size perfect, and the paper stock wonderful. Such a wonderful legacy for his son. Rating: 4 stars.

4. The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom
You know how the fairy tales we read as kids ended: and they all lived happily ever after? Well, not exactly. This middle grade book is a hilarious follow-up to the stories of Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel and Cinderella. You did know that the Prince Charming in these stories were not the same guy right? Or maybe you didn't. I got the physical book to look at the drawings, but I would highly recommend listening to the audiobook narrated by Bronson Pinchot. He gets five stars for his performance. I've added every book he has narrated to my TBR pile. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: