January 25, 2013

Dusting off the SLR

I remember my excitement when I first upgraded my digi point and shoot to a digi SLR. What a thrill. I could use my old 35 mm lenses - the ones I used with my film body. Still have that body and need to find a good home for it. But I digress. Took my SLR and lenses everywhere. Got a new bag to help schlep all that gear. You know the drill.


Then along came camera phones. Mine happens to be an iphone, though I am not an Apple groupie. In the year or so since I got the phone, my habits changed. Almost all the photos, and all the vidoes I took were with that phone. It has a pretty good lens for its size, and I always had it with me. So dang portable. So what's the problem again?


Nothing, except that while shooting for Project Life this month, it has been rather amusing to see my little iphone attached to my huge tripod - the one I used to use for my SLR. So last week decided to dust off my trusty SLR and really get to know my most recent lens acquisition (and by recent I mean 5 years ago). So popped on my 50 mm and started playing. And holy smokes, doesn't it blow my iphone away.


Now I'm not surprised by that really. Just something I had forgotten. And this lens. I love this lens. 


All the photos in this post were taken last weekend. On the slopes with my nephew Luke. Check out the versatility of the inexpensive 50 mm lens. I am back in love. (Click on photos to enlarge).


Is your SLR collecting dust?

No comments: