November 26, 2012

Sketch Play Date [1]

I met up with some new friends at the Harvard Natural History Museum yesterday for a sketching play date. Jaime, Anna, Alexandria and I walked around sketching what caught our fancy. We compared notes on materials and techniques - sometimes that can be the most fun part. I often spend much of my creative time alone, so really love when I can meet up with like minded people. BTW, if you have not visited this museum, and you live in the Boston area, you gotta go. Trust me. Just go. You can thank me later.
(Click here to enlarge)
Here is page one of three that I did yesterday. I had previously slapped on some fluid acrylics for a background - sometimes all that white paper can be intimidating. I could have spent all day, maybe two or three, at the mollusks exhibit. As an island girl, guess that is not really surprising. Ink, markers, watercolor pencils, and acrylics.

2 comments:

Photocat said...

Love your shells Elizabeth. You painted them so well. I love the subdued color scheme, and the placement of the shells on the page works. This spread just works. A great idea to put some color on your blank page before starting. Makes the canvas a lot less intimidating i find.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Cat. I could create a whole books of the shells they have - hmmm, maybe that is a good idea....