November 11, 2012

Recent Reads

109. Gone Girl
This was probably the most hyped book this summer, so I waited until all the noise died down before I started it. Expectations can be set too high. I listened to the audio version, which was wonderfully narrated by Julia Whelan and Kirby Heyborne.

Gone Girl is the story of two of the most unlikable, selfish, dysfunctional, and narcissistic people I think I have ever read in literature. On the day of their 5th anniversary, the wife goes missing. And the ride begins. The pace is good, and the author makes some clever observations of human nature, but on the whole I don't think I would have finished this book if I had been reading it in print. The audio however is an enjoyable, if disturbing, ride. Am glad to have their voices out of my head. Rating: 3 stars.


110. A Storm of Swords
This is book #3 in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Oh, the twists and turns of this story. I find myself struggling not to get too attached to characters. And failing. And find myself talking aloud to characters. And saying no, no, noooooo.

Winter is coming! Rating: 4 stars.


I read the Urban Sketchers blog, where you get to see the world, one sketch at a time. The book has wonderful sketches from artists around the world, and is chock-full of tips, advice and inspiration. Makes me want to sketch everything in sight. I loved everything about this book. Rating: 5 stars.

112. 1493
I loved the first half of this book, but have gotten bogged down on the second half. Might come back to it - it is really wonderfully narrated. But putting it aside in my DNF pile for now.

2 comments:

Photocat said...

I can't wait for the sixth tome of Game of Thrones. I know about the characters. Some of them die and leave almost a gap as a real life person passing away. Funny how book characters can become part of our world. The nice thing about books is that you can restart the book and they are back. At times I wished we could restart real life too!

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean Cat. I am slowly making my way through the series - do not want it to end.