November 26, 2012

Road to A2

I love road trips. I remember the excitement of long roads trips from Mombasa to Nyeri in Kenya. My parents would pack the car with luggage, lots of tasty food, and sleepy kids. We started out before sunrise, and woke up on the road.

When you are a kid in Kenya, seeing elephants, and giraffes, and hippos, and ostriches, etc. was one of the fun things about a road trip. Another cherished tradition were our fave stops - Hunters Lodge with those glorious peacocks comes to mind.

Today was a road trip day - we drove out to Ann Arbor, Michigan. A journey of about 12 hours. We still set out before sunrise, and the car is packed with snacks, and music, and audio books. I do quick sketches in my journal - though not while driving! The wildlife consists of deer, cows, migrating geese and various birds of prey. Yes, the speed of travel is much faster than my childhood sojourns, but the level of excitement is similar. Highlights included sunrise, sunset, and snow squalls.

There is something on the human scale about car travel. Your body adjusts to the new scenery gradually. There is not that jarring shock that often arises from a plane ride of a similar duration. Though I must confess that my rump is not used to all that sitting. Am delighted to have arrived. More from the road later.

1 comment:

Photocat said...

Allrightie... so you traveled through Kenya. Wow. Saw elephants and giraffes... We only saw cows and more cows on the Belgian roads of my childhood. How neat to read about your childhood car trips...