June 1, 2012

Recent Reads

51. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
This is quite a delightful book that gently explores themes of family, loss, love, racism, and how the world changes in unexpected ways. I listened to the audio version of the book, and loved the narrator. I am not sure I would have finished the book if I had been sitting down to read it, but found myself engrossed in the story, and talking back to the characters on my walks and while doing dishes. I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

52. Three Weeks in December
I decided to browse the new books shelves at my library the other day. I sometimes miss the wonderful act of browsing and selecting books that look good to me. No reading reviews to see what others thought about my selections. And this is one of the gems I picked up. I had not heard of this book or author before, and I love Europa editions, so made a tall glass of iced tea (Passionfriut) and settled in for what turned out to be a wonderful read. There are two stories set about a hundred years apart. One in Kenya (my homeland), and the other in Rwanda. A lovely romp of a tale. I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: