December 14, 2010

Recent Reads

1. Zeitoun
My book club selection for the month is one I did not enjoy at all. As a matter of fact the only reason I finished it was for the book club. It is so poorly written. How the heck does one take a story like this and make it boring? And boring it was. Almost seemed like it was a direct transcription of a conversation - no color, no prose, no nothing. And again, one of my pet peeves, this bestseller is not written for an adult audience in my opinion. Why all the stars in reviews? I don't get it.

2. Eden's Outcasts
In contrast to the book above, this was a fantastic read. Talk about serendipity - was at my first ever visit to Fruitlands last month and the docent recommended this book, and I have been having such a wonderful time immersing myself into the lives of Bronson and Louisa May Alcott. A sublime read.

3. Print and Stamp Lab
A good basic introduction to stamping.

4. Travel Writing
A well written book for people who like to travel and write about their experiences. While geared for people who want to get their work published, this is also a great book to stimulate thought about what you see and experience and ways to best capture mood.

No comments: