June 9, 2014

Recent Reads

74. The Burgess Boys
I read it for my book club this month, and honestly would not have finished it if not for that.

I really like how the author writes, and this is the third book of hers I have read. It is however my least favorite of the three. The author captures human interpersonal relationships really well, and this book also has a wonderful sense of place, but overall the story did not work for me. 

This is a book about a dysfunctional, damaged family, and with that backdrop I expected more: more depth, more insight, more connection. But the characters in this book are not fleshed out, and I felt remote from all the pain and angst. There are some wonderful insights about humanity that the author shares, but overall, this is not a book I would recommend. However, half of my book club loved it, so maybe you will too. Rating: 2 stars.


75. Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color
Book blurb: A guide that shows painters, drawers, doodlers, and urban sketchers how to bring their drawings to life with colorful, bold, yet accessible painting methods.

This is a colorful and informative introduction to watercolor sketching. Rating: 3 stars.


76. The Abominable
This has been our read-aloud book at home for the past several months, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. 

This story of friendship, mountain climbing, and human endurance reads like a fast paced thriller, and kept me guessing at the twists and turns. Much of the action takes place on Mt. Everest, and if you are fan of climbing stories you gotta read this one. If however you are not a fan, the technical, equipment and scientific details might be too much for you, but I'd advise you to skim those sections and enjoy the ride.

I loved the author's skill at telling a rollicking good yarn, with real bits of history woven in. This is my first book by the author, and it will certainly not be my last. Backlist, here I come! Rating: 4 stars.


77. Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
I am always looking for creative inspiration, and while I did not love this book, did get some good ideas that I will try out in my journal. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: