June 30, 2014

Recent Reads

84. Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key #3)
The imagination of the author and the fantastic art has me flying through this series, and that is too bad because I really want to slow down and savor every frame. And that Crown of Shadows? Stuff of nightmares! Rating: 4 Stars.

85. The Neon Rain (Dave Robicheaux #1)
I've heard this series is a good one for fans of Harry Bosch, so thought I'd give it a try. While Dave Robicheaux is no Bosch, they are both flawed men who have PTSD from the Vietnam War, and a tendency to do things their own way, torpedoes be damned.

The setting is the seedier side of New Orleans, and what I was not expecting is the poetry of some of the prose. Also a lot more political than your average police procedural. I tried to puzzle out the crime along with Dave, who goes a bit too rogue for my tastes, but every time the man ate a po' boy or beignet my mouth watered and I wanted me one too. There are several books in this series, and I liked it enough to give the next one or two a shot. Rating: 3 stars.


86. The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3)
This is the final book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, and while targeted for kids, it is also a fun read for adults. I listened to the multicast audio version, which is wonderful.

There are so many things I love about this series, and this final book in the trilogy is even better than the first two - really unusual for trilogies. The war that has threatened has finally arrived. Good versus evil, religion and dogma versus open minds and kindness. Humans, angels, specters, ghosts, witches, armored bears, and the dead oh my! The metaphysical and philosophical themes explored in this book would lead to interesting discussions for adults, let alone kids. I have thoroughly enjoyed this series, and I will miss spending time with Lyra and Will.

Bravo Philip Pullman. Bravo. Rating: 5 stars.

No comments: