June 5, 2014

Cinemascope: W./E.

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2011.

Plot line: It was a love story that amazed and scandalized the world: because royal protocol barred him marrying a divorced commoner (and an American, to boot), Edward VIII abdicated the British throne in 1936 in order to be with "the woman I love." That story is brought to the screen in W./E., along with a parallel 1990s tale of a woman (Abbie Cornish, Bright Star) fascinated by the saga as she walks about the halls of Sotheby's in anticipation of an auction of the royals' stuff. 

What got my attention is that Madonna directed this movie. Yes, that Madonna. Add that to the fact that I'm fascinated by the abdication story, and I was sold. The two story lines play really well against each other, and one can see Madonna's touch in the lighting and how the women are photographed and portrayed. 

You can see the movie trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: