June 23, 2014

Recent Reads

81. A Tale for the Time Being
** spoiler alert ** This book should have gotten 4, maybe even 5 stars, and until about the second half of part three, I thought that it would. And then that dream scene happened, and I threw up my hands in disgust.

I love how the author writes. She is very skilled at capturing people and place and relationships. There are multiple narrators in this story, and I loved the parts where Nao tells her story via diary entries. The relationship between 16 year old Nao and her 104 year old great-grandmother Jiko is heart warming and lovely. I was less impressed with the Ruth parts, though again, the author captures well the people and place. All the characters in this book have distinct voices, and the author fleshes them out really well.

Now let's get to what upset me about this book. I felt cheated by the magical realism and quasi quantum mechanics devices used by the author. Either write a magical realism story ala Isabel Allende, and I would have loved it. Or write a true sci-fi story, and I would have loved it too. Dream travel does not a multi-universe story make! I needed more. Based on all the science infrastructure that is shared in the book, I expected/wanted/hoped that the author would fully leap into parallel universes. But in my opinion, the story fell flat. It was almost like the author started out with a wonderful story, but then did not know how to end it. The themes of suicide, bullying, environmental collapse, etc, were all compelling, but the underlying structure of the story did not hold, and like a badly baked meringue simply fell flat.

My book club discussed this over the weekend, and the general consensus was that although the writing in wonderful, the story was too fragmented and did not hold together. You know that feeling you have when you get a crush on someone and then realize that you were mistaken? That is how I feel after reading this book. Rating: 3 stars.


82. A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)
Other than the Bible, is there really a book out there with these many characters? 

This is book #4 in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and at this point you are either along for the ride, or you have not bothered to start. There are parts of this installment I loved, parts that I did not, and parts that I found downright boring. 

If you are reading these tomes, you already know that GRRM decided to split the story into two books, and this one deals with stuff that happens around Kings Landing, while the next book picks up what happens on the Wall and with the Dragon Mother during the same time frame. Sure, some of my fave characters were missing in this book, but the sheer volume of new characters I was introduced to was breath taking. 

While I did not love this volume, it moves the story along in important (I assume) ways, and I look forward to #5. And then what do I do? Books #6 and #7 are not published yet, so I guess I'll join the masses who pray that the author does not die before completing this series. Rating: 3 stars.


83. Head Games (Locke & Key #2)
I am loving this graphic novel series, and am slowly reading my way through the collection because I do not want it to end. The Locke children are in serious trouble and do not even know it. Another key is found and what it does will blow your mind. This story is such a wonderful exploration of memory and fear, and as in the first book the art is fantastic. Got the next two books on my nightstand, and I look at them the same way I gaze longingly at lovely desserts in brightly lit French cafes. Delish! Rating: 4 stars.

2 comments:

Ben Simon said...

So just recently finished A Tale for a Time Being (http://www.blogbyben.com/2014/06/review-tale-for-time-being-novel.html), and I can appreciate your frustration with the book.

However, I walked away thoroughly impressed.

In my mind, the author had managed to construct a sort of hierarchy of characters, where each one's hardship's are minimized when compared to the ones that they linked to.

I felt for Ruth, the aging writer who was struggling to find her way. But that doesn't compare to Nao, who's own hardships are far worse. But that doesn't compare to her Uncle, or Great Grandmother, who's hardship's are even worse. And so, on.

Stacking all these characters up, I thought, was an interesting structure, and one I'd not expected.

I was also pretty much satisfied with ending. On one hand, it gave me quite a bit of closure. But, on the other, it left enough questions open that I felt it wasn't too sappy.

Perhaps what really worked for me is that I had zero expectations about the book or author. I quickly realized it wasn't the kind of book I would normally read, but enjoyed seeing it through.

Elizabeth said...

Stacking up the characters is an interesting way of looking at this novel indeed.