February 25, 2013

Recent Reads

16. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
I listened to the audio version which is really well narrated by Kathe Mazur. Having already watched the author's TED talk, I was interested to hear how she would flush out the topic. I found this an insightful book, especially the case studies and strategies during the first and last quarters of the book. However, I did feel that the middle dragged a bit, and could have used some editing. Whether you are an introvert, an extrovert, or an ambivert, this book is a fascinating look at personal and interpersonal dynamics, and can help shed light on some of the puzzling people in your life. Rating: 4 stars.

17. The End of Your Life Book Club
This memoir tells the story of a son and his mother, who read and discuss books and life while she undergoes chemo for stage four pancreatic cancer. They form a book club of two. I listened to the audio version narrated by Jeff Harding, who is a wonderful narrator, but I found his women's voices annoying. This is a hard book for me to review, because while I was intrigued by the connection between mother and son, and the story is about books and life and illness and loss, the writing left me unmoved. It felt like I was snorkeling at the surface, and what I wanted was a deep dive. I enjoyed the reviews of the books they read, I have read many myself, and found several to add to my TBR pile. The author has captured his mother in a manner that photos only cannot. A wonderful gift for his family. Rating: 3 stars.

18. The Last Summer of the Camperdowns
I excitedly ripped open the package that contained my advanced reading copy and dived in. I so wanted to love this book, but did not. The story is set on the Cape and is told from the perspective of Riddle, a 12 year old girl named after Jimmy Hoffa. The novel describes the lives of the characters over one summer, and the secrets and events that change life as they know it. The most compelling character in the novel is Riddle's mother Greer, her one-liners and comebacks are quote worthy. However I did not find the book a compelling read, the characters are rather one-dimensional, and the plot and pacing of the story did not suck me in. Rating: 2 stars.

19. The Graphic Canon, Vol 1: From the Epic of Gilgamesh to Shakespeare to Dangerous Liaisons
This is such a fun book dip in and out of, and while I had heard of, if not read, most of these classics, there were some that were completely new to me. The thing to know before reading, is that this is a sampling of these classic stories - abridged, or a chapter of two of each. The graphics are simply wonderful, and while I did not love each and every one, there are many that are fantastic. I've added the next in the series to my TBR pile. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: