February 18, 2013

Recent Reads

10. Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
I want the author to be my new BFF. And if not that, we should at least meet monthly for tea and scones. Or pie. To discuss books, and life, and well, everything. This delightful collection of short essays are witty, and insightful, and thought provoking. Rating: 4 stars.

11. Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
The book profiles various artists and gives us a peek into some of their journals and journaling styles. Rating: 3 stars.

12. The One and Only Ivan
Based on the true story of a captive gorilla known as Ivan, the Shopping Mall Gorilla, this award winning book for middle grade readers explores themes of captivity, friendship, art, family, and the idea that it is never too late to be the person you were meant to be. Rating: 3 stars.

13.  Ant Cities
I read this as part of my search to find great reads that might interest my nephews and nieces. This one is full of great information, but the illustration and presentation is rather uninspired. Rating: 2 stars.

14. Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute
I read this as part of my search to find great reads that might interest my nephews and nieces. This graphic novel series is highly recommended for middle grade kids, and while there were some interesting scenes, as a whole was not captivated. Rating: 2 stars.

15. Pride and Prejudice
I am slowly making my way through Austen for the first time, and as this is the 200th anniversary of the book, figured it was a good time to dive in. I've heard it described as a romantic comedy, but what I loved about it most was not the romance part. I loved that it was essentially a story about women - mothers, sisters, nieces, aunts and neighbors. Yes there are men, but the men are all incidental characters. The strength of the story was about how the women related to each other, how they defended and snubbed one another. It reminded me much of Little Women - the most influential book of my childhood. I love Austen's wit and humor and clear insights into societal and familial strictures. I think her work is still relevant today because of her social critique and wonderful writing. I have ordered up the two most recent movie and TV productions of the book for my viewing pleasure. Rating: 5 stars.

No comments: