July 31, 2012

Recent Reads

83. Murder on the Orient Express
We read books aloud in our home, and this was the one we finished today. I recall loving Christie in my younger years, and I've always wanted to take this train trip - sans the murder part please - so it seemed like a good choice. This book is a fast read, with interesting characters and humorous observations of human nature. A classic whodunit. Rating: 4/5 stars.

84. Batman, Vol 1: The Court of Owls
The graphics in this book are amazing. I could spend days simply looking at the pages frame by frame. The story on the other hand leaves much to be desired. This is the first book in a new series, so maybe it was all setup, but still. Could have been a better story. Rating: 3/5 stars.

85. The Mysteries of Harris Burdick 
This is a strange book with an even stranger origins story. This is not a book you read in the usual manner. It consists of drawings with book titles and captions. Period. One could look at the wonderful drawings again and again and come up with different stories each time. Would be a fun game to play with kids, or playful adults. As a follow up, I've added The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: Fourteen Amazing Authors Tell the Tales to my TBR pile. Rating: 4/5 stars.

86. The Lottery and Other Stories 
I'm not usually a fan of short stories, I prefer long meaty novels, but this collection is really good. How the heck does she do it? The stories start quite normally, but you just know that things are not going to end well. Rating: 4/5 stars.

No comments: