July 10, 2012

Recent Reads

75. A+E 4ever
This graphic novel is done in an unusual style - no regular boxes, no talk bubbles, and the art is sketchier than most. Adolescent years can be rough, especially for kids who stick out in any way. This boy meets girl story is not one usually written about. Tender. Gritty. Well worth a read. 
 Rating: 4/5 stars.

76. The Newlyweds 
You know that feeling after eating a large fatty and salty meal that leaves you feeling empty after? That is how I felt after I was done with this book. I listened to the audio version, wonderfully narrated by Mozhan Marno, and would not have finished it if not for how well it she reads it. I often wish there was a way to rate narrators separately from the book. I would give the book a rating of 2 stars and the narrator 5 stars. The story had good ingredients, but I found the plot lines weak and often rather boring. Don't bother. Rating: 2/5 stars.

77. Wonder
The thing you should know before reading this middle-grade book is that it is told from multiple viewpoints. Either you like that style or you don't. I do. 5th grade is tough. But it is even tougher if you have been home schooled, and have a facial deformity that has people gawking (or worse) when you are in public. This lovely story explores themes of courage, friendship, kindness, loyalty, family and love. I'm buying a copy for all the middle graders in my life.  Rating: 5/5 stars.

No comments: