January 20, 2012

Recent Reads

4. Divergent
New author #4. This young adult (YA) book as gotten rave reviews and I needed a quick read - a palate cleanser if you will - so dived in. Dystopian novels seem to be all the rage, both in adult and YA fiction lately. Wonder why. At any rate, I read this book in a day. Stayed up late to finish it. Tris is not as kick-ass as Katniss (Hunger Games), but you gotta root for a girl protagonist amidst all the boy centered books. The next book in the trilogy will be released this spring and is on my TBR list. If you're looking for a fun, fast read, check this one out.

5. Faith
I do not know why it took me so long to read this book. I heard the author speak at the BBF this year and I decided to bump the book higher on my TBR list, and am I delighted I did. I was braced for some tough stuff - the story is set around the Catholic Priest sex scandals in Boston. Like all great stories, the grander themes are explored using specific people - in this case an accused priest and his family. The story takes us into the lives of a family, dysfunctional in their own particular way, and we explore how things end up the way they do. Beautifully told. Loved every moment of reading it.

I'm delighted to have read 3 wonderful books in a row. Looking at my TBR pile to see what I'm going to dive into next. Are you reading anything good?

2012 reading goals:
Authors new to me = 12. YTD = 4.
2 books by Charles Dickens. YTD = 0

No comments: