January 27, 2012

Recent Reads

9. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt
New author # 7. This is an unusual and delightful book. I love looking through scrapbooks, and this one tells the story of Frankie Pratt, a girl from New Hampshire who leaves home, travels, comes into her own, and returns home to find that what she is seeking has been there all along. Love all the vintage ephemera used to tell the story. A fun read.

10. The White Queen
This is the first book in The Cousins' War series. This is the first novel I have read about The War of the Roses - I am much more a fan of the Tudor period. This is full out Plantagenet warfare - cousin against cousin, brother against brother. The story is told from the point of view of Elizabeth Woodville, a commoner who becomes the Queen of England. Quite enjoyed learning more about this period, but the writing does not hold up as well as her other books. That said, I will be reading the other books in this series.

11. A Game of You
This is graphic novel is #5 in the Sandman series, and I think it might just be my fave one so far. As usual I love the story and the graphics and even the fonts used. The story explores the breakdown between the dreaming and "real" worlds. What happens when you can easily shift from one to the other? How do you tell which one you are in? Love this book.

2012 reading goals:
Authors new to me = 12. YTD = 7.
2 books by Charles Dickens. YTD = 0

No comments: