October 26, 2011

Recent Reads

114. Goodbye Chunky Rice
I liked this graphic novel. It explores themes of friendship, home, travel and the search for one's place in the world.

115. Syncopated
Another graphic book - an anthology of non-fiction picto essays. This is an interesting collection, with some of the artist entries more compelling than others. Worth a read though.

116. Turn of Mind
There seems to be a collection of recent releases that have to do with memory loss in one way or another, and I really liked this one. This is the story of a woman diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I found it quite a tense read and was never really sure of what was real and what was not - quite an adept writing style, as it put me in the mind of the person losing her memory. This story gave me lots to think about. Who are we without our memories? Who can we trust? Can we even trust ourselves? The idea of the "mind rotting inside the head" is an image that has stuck with me.

No comments: