October 3, 2011

Recent Reads

99. The Land of Painted Caves
I've been reading the Earth's Children series this summer, and was really looking forward to this final book in the saga. I got several hundred pages into it and simply could not continue. It is boring and not well written and though I really want to find out what happens, I've decided to stop reading it. And I almost never stop reading a book once I start it. Am so disappointed.

100. The Secret Servant
Am slowly making my way through the Gabriel Allon series, and this is #7. A fun ride that also got me thinking about how population growth and decline can change a region in terms of religion and politics.

101. The Tea Rose
Get ready for almost 800 pages of juiciness. Not since Gone With the Wind have I read such a sprawling historical novel. The story of a determined young woman is set in Jack-the-ripper London and 1890s New York, and I got a real sense of what it was like to live with and without money in those times. Yes, there is a love story too - but like GWTW, it is the time and place and the sheer grit of the main character that draws you in. Loved it and already have part two of the trilogy on order.

No comments: