October 14, 2011

Recent Reads

106. We the Animals
This debut is getting quite a bit of buzz and I can see why. A very short book of almost whispered stories that pack quite a punch. Vignettes into the particulars of one unhappy childhood.

107. Drawn In
A peek into the inspiring sketchbooks of 44 fine artists, illustrators, graphic designers and cartoonists is right up my alley. I love looking at how people use their journals and this one shows quite a range of styles. I was a bit disappointed by the Q&A sections - seemed too light and an opportunity wasted to capture some insights from the artists.

108. The Winter Rose
This is the 2nd book in the Tea Rose trilogy and I loved it. A huge, sprawling saga of passions, dreams, loss and redemption. And there were portions set in Kenya! How could I not love that? Yes, a bit Hollywood-like in the ending, but quite a satisfying read none-the-less. I gotta say that I am a bit reluctant to get the final book in the series based on the negative reviews, but will give it a try based on how much I enjoyed the first two.

109. Anya's Ghost
I quite enjoyed this graphic novel about teenage angst with a twist. Anya hates everything about herself - her name, her family, the food her mother cooks, her body - why can she not be just like other American girls and fit in? Enter the ghost, who eventually teaches Anya an important lesson - you are good enough just the way you are. This would be an good graphic novel to read with a teenager as it could start some interesting discussions.

No comments: