October 18, 2011

Recent Reads

110. Leaving India
This was my book club selection this month and while I found some of the writing quite poetic, I would not have finished the book if not for my book club commitment. I did learn some new things about the South Asian diaspora, but for the most part, this is really a family memoir and I was not particularly interested in the family. Way too much detail for my taste. On a positive note, it did lead to a interesting book club discussion about what is lost and gained when a family is suddenly flung across the oceans.

111. Carnet De Voyage
I love travel journals and this one is so much fun to read. I liked both the story telling and the drawings, and the fact that all but a few of the drawings were made on site and not in retrospect is a staggering achievement. There is something quite magical about following along on an artistic journey. My only complaint is that the ending was rather abrupt - okay there was a deadline, but still, that could have been handled better.

112. Blankets
This graphic novel is heavy - literally - be kind to your wrists and use a kick stand. The story is a coming of age memoir and is wonderfully illustrated.

113. Moscow Rules
This is book #8 of the Gabriel Allon series, and at this point, the art restorer/spy/assassin feels an old and dear friend. He gets pulled out of retirement - again - and the story flows in a typical manner - various locations, murder and mayhem, a dash of history, a thrilling operation. Buckle up for a fun ride.

No comments: