September 6, 2014

One Little Word 2014: August

And just like that another month is over.

As you might recall, my word for this year is Cultivate. I am taking a more laid back approach to my word this year. Am picking a theme for each month, and then seeing where I end up.

My focus this month was to cultivate play

play
verb
engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.

Here are the quotes that inspired me this month:
Albert Einstein: Play is the highest form of research.
George Bernard Shaw: We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

And who am I to argue with genius? 

August is my birthday month, and I am one of those people who love birthdays, and think myself dang lucky that I am alive to celebrate another one. So in celebration of my birthday, I decided to focus on play. Look at the definition again: engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose. When was the last time you did that?

So this month I played. For fun. Without purpose. Without the end in mind. Some of that play involved time with others, some of it was alone. Some involved toys, some not. Some play was with children, some with adults.

What I learned is that I am more at ease, and friendlier, and smile more and am more open and flexible when I play. And I have resolved to have a play date scheduled more regularly. 

These are some of the ways I cultivated play this month. How do you do it?

No comments: