September 11, 2014

Cinemascope: Whale Rider

Cinemascope is a regular blog post where I will share with you movies and TV shows I think are worth watching.


Released in 2002.

Plot line: A small Maori village faces a crisis when the heir to the leadership of the Ngati Konohi dies at birth and is survived only by his twin sister, Pai. Although disregarded by her grandfather and shunned by the village people, twelve-year-old Pai remains certain of her calling and trains herself in the ways and customs of her people. With remarkable grace, Pai finds the strength to challenge her family and embraces a thousand years of tradition in order to fulfill her destiny.

I saw this at my local indie theater when it first came out and loved it. I recently read the book the movie is based on, and while while there are some significant changes made for the movie, it still holds up many years later. I loved this story of a young girl fighting to find herself in a changing world, and the challenges the Maori people face holding on to their traditions in these modern times.

You can see the trailer here. If you have yet to see it, this is a movie worth watching.

No comments: