November 19, 2013

Recent Reads

124. Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)
This is book #7 in the Fables graphic novel series, and this book introduces some of the magic from the Arabian fairy tales. It got me thinking about how fairy tales reflect specific cultures, and reminded me of fun childhood afternoons when I traveled by magic carpets and commanded D'Jinns. Rating: 3 stars.

125. Lonely Planet Sri Lanka
When I'm planning a trip there are certain travel books that are my go-to guides. Turns out that many of my go-to companies do not publish a book on Sri Lanka. Seriously? Been dipping in and out of this guide book, highlighting, planning, dreaming, getting excited. While this is a good overall introduction, it is not of the caliber I expect get from Lonely Planet. Rating: 3 stars.

126. This Moose Belongs to Me
This children's picture book explores some important themes: nature is wild, cannot be controlled, and belongs to everyone. Wilfred thinks he owns a moose, but the moose has other plans. The art is cute, and I can see how kids are captivated by the antics of this moose. Rating: 3 stars.

127. Skim
Two things made me pick up this graphic novel: the cover art, and it is highly rated on GLBT graphic novel lists. This coming of age story, explores interesting themes: sexuality, first loves, teenage suicide, trying to find out who you are at sixteen - usual teenage angst. The sketchy black and art is interesting, but I felt that the story did not dive deep enough. It skimmed (pun intended) these topics, and I did not connect with either the story or the main character. Granted, I am not the intended young adult target audience for this book, so maybe it is just me. Rating: 2 stars.

No comments: