November 12, 2013

On the Road: Photographer proves strangers are friends you haven't met yet

While on the T the other day (that is the subway for all you readers not from the Boston area), I noticed how many people had their eyes directed at something in their hands - books, phones, tablets, etc. In an almost full carriage, I was one of only five people who actually looked about, made eye contact, and smiled at each other. What was even more interesting, the woman across from me was not reading her Kindle. I know this because we shared the entire ride, and she kept peeking at others from under her lashes.

What are the ramifications of this kind of isolation for us a species? I am no Luddite, but there is something strange about being in close quarters with other human beings and not making simple contact no? So imagine my delight when I saw this video (via Pam). Does this not look like a better world to live in?



If the embedded video does not work, click here.

No comments: