November 4, 2013

Recent Reads

116. Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
This is book #4 in the Fables graphic novel series, and the series just gets better with each book. This is my fave of the lot so far. Boy Blue and Red Riding Hood? Who knew? Men in black. Goblins. War is in the air. Such a fun read. Rating: 4 stars.

117. How to be Idle
There is this notion that we seek out books that validate things we already feel, and if that is the case, I am guilty as charged. As a person who did not grow up in the States, I have lived in cultures that celebrated two hour lunches and lots of vacation time, and I have never really understood the American work-obsessed culture. Now, I do admit to falling prey to it myself, after all I did not want to seem lazy, but thankfully I realized before I hit the grave that there is more to life than work, and that interesting people do not ask "what do you do?" upon first meeting you. 

This book of twenty four essays might just start a resistance movement. Funny and insightful, with chapter titles like The Death of Lunch, The Nap, and Time for Tea, this is a lovely way to remind ourselves that we are not machines. We are human beings, not human doings. I would recommend this book to every high school and collage graduate as a reminder to take long walks, call in sick more often, and nap as needed.

My fave chapters:
Waking Up is Hard to Do
Sleeping In
The Death of Lunch
The Nap
The Ramble
Time for Tea
The Art of Conversation
Meditation
Sleep


Rating: 4 stars.

118. Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me
If you are creative person, does it follow that you are also crazy? I mean look at the company you keep - Virginia Woolf, Vincent van Gogh, Leo Tolstoy, Emily Dickinson, and my fave boy crush, Michelangelo, among others. Who would not want to be in that company? 

This graphic memoir is a fascinating look inside the author's head after she is newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and the episodes of mania and depression that follow. Insightful, informative, and disarmingly honest. The author experiments with a cocktail of meds and behavioral changes in the search of balance, and struggles with the romanticization of the crazy artist. Considering the topic, this is a really fun read. Rating: 4 stars.


119. The Subtle Knife
This is the second book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, and while targeted for kids, it is also a fun read for adults. I listened to the multicast audio version, which is wonderful.

Yes, there is lots of action, and witches, and angels and specters, but what impressed me about this story is the exploration of science versus religion, dark matter, and quantum mechanics in a way that is easily understandable by kids. I got my 10 year old nephew hooked, and he gobbled up the trilogy in a couple of weeks. I look forward to seeing how this story wraps up in the final book. Rating: 4 stars.

No comments: