November 3, 2013

One Little World 2013: October Update

Seriously, am I the only one shocked at how fast time is flying by? At least with daylight savings time I gained back an hour today.

Remember these were my goals for the month:


And how did I do?

It turned out that my focus for the month changed quite a bit from what I had initially planned, and I am OK with that. Things happen, and I am going with the flow. So here are the specifics.

Goal #1: Widen my community. While I did not get around to making this a priority this month, I did make some new contacts. I know for sure that this will make it on my list for next year. Something I read recently has stuck with me: Go stand next to the brightest light in the room. If you are the brightest light in the room, find another room.

Goal #2: Volunteer. Did nothing here, and something that I want to add into my life for next year.

Goal #3: How can I help? This gets to the heart of an interesting issue for me. When I hear people complain/kvetch/etc, my instinctive reaction is to "fix the problem". Sometimes that is exactly what is needed, but other times, what the person wants is for me to simply sit with them while they caterwaul on and on. I am learning to take a deep breath, and ask the simple question, how can I help? This has really changed at how I look at situations for the better, and something that I will continue to incorporate into how I listen and am present.

All in all, am quite proud of my efforts and accomplishments. I hope you had a great month. Let's see what November has in store.

No comments: