April 23, 2012

World Book Night 2012

Today is the day that about 25,000 people distribute free books to members of their community who might be reluctant readers. You can read more about the program on their website.

I selected My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult from the list of available books. Why this one? I loved it, and thought it would be a great read for reluctant readers. Late this afternoon, armed with my 20 copies, I visited a laundromat and the Market Basket (grocery store) in Lowell, MA. a town near me. It took me about 2 hours to give away all my copies. Here are some thoughts about my experience:
  • I expected to give away a book to every other person or so - a 50% hit rate. It was more like a hit every 15 to 20 people. 
  • So many people were simply not interested in a book. A free book at that!
  • Everyone, and I mean everyone, was wary when I approached them. What do I want? What am I selling? What is the catch? What does that say about how we view members of our community?
  • I really loved finding people who were not readers, and were willing to give the book a try. One woman said "no thanks", then after hearing my pitch to someone else circled back and said she'd take one.
  • I had fun discussions with a couple of women about how the book compares with the movie.
  • I loved the chance encounters, and the few minutes getting to hear personal stories about reading, travel, life, etc.
  • I loved their faces when people really believed that they were getting a book they could keep. For free. No strings attached.
  • One of the two men who accepted a book, said that it was his birthday, and the book was a surprise gift that he would start reading when he got home.
  • My stats: 17 women, 2 men, 1 teenage girl.
Doing this was outside my comfort zone. I am not one to simply walk up and talk to strangers. But I love books, and was delighted at the opportunity to expose people to a book I loved. I feel more connected to my local community today, and that is priceless. Thank you WBN.

No comments: