April 1, 2012

Troy

Ah Troy. Land of Hector, and Paris, and Helen, and Achilles. Long thought to be a fictional place, it is a land whose stories come to us through the mists of time.

Never mind that it was the smallest of all the sites I explored this trip. It is huge in my imagination. Never mind that the movie with Brad Pitt has a Hollywood ending. There sure was a lot of eye candy in that movie. Never mind that this is not the actual horse, but a replica. Who cares? By the way, the movie horse was donated to the nearby town of Canakkale, and you better believe that if I had known that before I left town, I would have hightailed it over there to see it.

So the residual effect is that the Turks have a saying: "Do not trust a Greek bearing gifts". Not a surprise then, that the Greeks say the same thing about Turks.

Have I mentioned how much I love Turkey? Bears repeating.

No comments: