April 9, 2012

Recent Reads

28. The Bastard of Istanbul
Started listening to this book before I left for Turkey and finished it on the flight over. There are quite a few characters in this book, and I really liked that it was all about the women in the families - the crazy ones, the sane ones, the rebellious ones. Set in Turkey and the States, the story explores the notion of identity, and how we figure out where we belong. I learned more about the Armenian deportations and massacres of 1915, and was fascinated to hear both the Turkish and Armenian sides of the events. The food described in this book made me hungry and I was delighted to get the chance to sample some of what I had heard described so wonderfully. If you read this, I would highly recommend you try out the audio version.

29. Eyewitness Turkey
The guide book I had along for the trip. Love the visual presentation of these guide books.

30. Reliquary
This is book #2 of the Pendergast series, and I listened to the audio book while traveling around Turkey. Would not say that I loved it, but the story pulled me along during long travel days. I will try the next in the series.

31. The Fault in Our Stars
This is not your typical YA book. No vampires. No dystopian worlds. It is the story of teens living with, battling, and dying from cancer. It is a love story. And not just between a boy and a girl, but the love of friendship. I smiled. I cried. I really liked this book.

No comments: