February 17, 2012

Recent Reads

15. Fables & Reflections
This is book #6 in the Sandman series, and is a fun romp. I did not love it like I have others in the series, but it is an interesting read non-the-less.

16. Making Journals by Hand
I dip into this delightful book every couple of years or so, especially when I'm planning my next big trip and looking for inspiration. Love everything about this book.

17. The Cellist of Sarajevo
New author #10. This is what my book club is reading this month. The book has been on my radar for a while, but was not on my TBR list. It is not an easy book to read - I actually had nightmares one night. The novel explores the siege of Sarajevo told from the particular stories of four residents. I think the author does a brilliant thing in not telling us the ethnic/religious backgrounds of the four people - we are not able to rely on easy prejudices, and have to do the work to really evaluate each person as an individual - not as a representative of a group. The philosophical questions throughout the book are explored in an open manner - we left to draw our own conclusions. This is a book that is going to stay with me for awhile.

18. The Lover's Dictionary
New author #11. I picked this up to read for Valentine Day week, and am I every so glad that I did. I loved it. It reads like wonderfully written, intimate journal entries. There are sections that simply took my breath away. I'd advise resisting the urge to read straight through. I dipped in a little at a time, and made the book last the entire week. Lovely.

2012 reading goals:
Authors new to me = 12. YTD = 11.
2 books by Charles Dickens. YTD = 0

What are you reading?

No comments: