February 23, 2012

Fabric Love

















I've been wanting a sewing machine for a awhile. Oh, you think I'm going to make me a sun dress or two do you? I hate to disappoint, but I'm still in recovery from a home ec. class I had as a wee one. The mean ol' teacher would look disapprovingly at my stitches and make me take them out and do it again. And again. And again. I do believe that at one point my Mom took pity on me and did some of my homework. I hated every minute of it.

So, imagine my surprise when I started thinking about getting a sewing machine several months ago. When making my travel journals, I tend to create pockets and attach ephemera, and I use staples, brads, etc. Sometimes I hand stitch. But after taking the Remains of the Day class by Mary Ann Moss, an entire new world opened up to me. Who knew one could have so much fun with needle and thread?

I started investigating machines, and then realized that Babes has an old, and I mean ancient, museum quality, Singer that her Mom used. I mean this baby was probably used in the depression era. It sure is weighty enough to hold down the house during a dust storm at any rate. Brought it up. Cleaned it up and after several hours of experimentation and lots of head scratching, I got it working. And it has sounded like a Chinese sweatshop over here ever since. I did not realize just how many projects I've had stacked up just waiting for such a moment.

I will post a pic of the machine one of these days - maybe when it goes on a coffee break. It is much to busy to pose at the moment. In the meantime, I am immersed in delightful words like bobbins and notions. I walk down aisles and fabrics call to me. I just might make a sundress one of these days.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

oh! is your Singer sewing machine with the treadle, I think thats what it is called (not electric)??? My Grams had one and I so loved it. She use to sew her clothes from casual to gowns. So many memories. Don't know whatever happened to it. I think of it every time I use the Brother electric Mom had. I'm taking Mary Ann's class now and gathering and hunting stuff.

Elizabeth said...

We used to have one of those old treadle ones, but this one is actually electric. Probably made when electricity was first installed in houses :-) Have fun with the ROD class - would love to see what you create.