February 6, 2012

DFL (-1)

Now if you know me, you know that I am not a runner. Have never understood that "high" runners talk about when they go out for an "easy 5 mile" run. Walk a 5K? Sure. No problemo.

So, why, oh why, have I decided that one of my goals this year is to run a 5K?

I started with the couch to 5K plan on Jan 2. Imagine my shock when I learned that I can actually walk faster than I can run. Huh? Gather this is true of all beginner runners. My 3 times a week training sessions have been on plan and going really well. So of course, I decided to throw a wrench on the entire plan by signing up for a 5K this past weekend. Never mind that my training so far had been indoors on a treadmill. Need I mention that there was no incline involved?

Yes it was true that I had not completed my final weeks of the training program, but the event I signed up for was a charity event - a fun 5K run/walk that benefited a local theater company. I would not be deterred.

To get ready for actually running outdoors, I had 2 practice training runs outdoors the week leading up to the event. On the first one I thought I was dying - could running outside be so very different from a treadmill? Discouraged, I came home to take stock. Turns out that I have no way to gauge my pace when outside. Unlike being on a treadmill, there are no big red numbers in front of me telling me how fast I am running. Turns out I was running about a mile and a half faster pace than I had been training. Aha. I can correct for that. My second (and final training run before the 5K) my right calf seized up and I painfully hobbled home. The lesson there was not to play a long game of racquetball and expect not to pay the price.

Never-the-less, I showed up early on Sunday morning, Babes in tow to boost my morale. It was cold. I mean below freezing cold. Believe the temp at the start was 29 deg F. But all that nervous excitement kept me from feeling the icy winds in my lungs.

I had 3 goals for the race:
1. Finish.
2. Run as much as possible.
3. 50 minutes or less.

Notice, that "have fun" was not a goal. A bit of fore-shadowing...

Started out fine. The jack rabbits were soon out of sight, but I the mighty tortoise would not be daunted. Onward. Then about a mile in my calf (yes the same one) seized up. Stretched it out and limped along painfully for a while. Would I be like some others around me and be a DNF? I think not. I could feel the Kenyan in me.

The results? Not only did I finish, I finished in 47:47:81. A personal best for me. I dug deep at the end and was not DFL. If only the Patriots had dug deep last night as well - but that is another story.

So, today I am feeling quite accomplished. Nursing along sore and leaden legs. Scanning the race blogs. Looking for my next 5K race.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations! I've never been a runner even as a kid but I like to walk. Being able to finish even with a leg that was giving you trouble is quite an accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself.

Cynthia said...

Yes! Congratulations! I'm so chuckling at your story. What a great charity event, as well, to raise funds. I admire your tenacity.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Janet and Cynthia. I appreciate it.