December 7, 2011

Recent Reads

129. The Relic
Have read good reviews about the Pendergast series, so decided to dive in with the first book, and found it a thrilling ride indeed. Reminded me a bit of Crichton's early work. Every time I see an exhibit in a museum, anywhere in the world, I am reminded of how much of the stuff was stolen and/or plundered. How can displaying mummies be anything other than grave-robbery? And yet, I appreciate the privilege that museums afford me. This story is about the "curse" of moving things to places they do not belong.

130. The Last Council
This much anticipated book #4 of the Amulet series does not disappoint. Emily and her friends find that there is no help to be found in Cielis. As a matter of fact, a competition (kinda like the Hunger Games) is about to ensue. My nieces (7 and 8) love this series, and I just bought the first book in the series for my nephew (9). Cannot wait for the next installment.

131. Sandman Vol 2: The Doll's House
I am slowly making my way though this series. It is a fun ride and the illustrations are fab. Have the next two books on my nightstand.

132. Best American Comics 2011
I find anthologies tough to read - there are some stories are that incredible and others that are so-so. This collection is no different - a mixed bag. What I really appreciated though was the chance to be exposed to artists that I had never heard of. There is value in that.

No comments: