September 10, 2011

Recent Reads

92. Wanderlust: Real Life Tales of Adventure and Romance
I quite enjoy travel stories, and this collection is a fun read. I dipped in now and then. Some of the stories are sublime, while others are just so-so. Well worth a read though.

93. Shadow Tag
My book club selection this month is a bleak and beautifully told story of a family falling apart. I am reminded of Tolstoy - this book is about the particulars of an unhappy family. There are parts of this book that simply made me stop and try to remember to breathe.
From page 18: "But here is the most telling thing: you wish to possess me. And my mistake: I loved you and let you think you could".

94. Shelters of Stone
I am reading the Earth's Children series this summer and this is book five. The second to last book. There is quite a bit of repetition, and the book could certainly have used some better editing, but I quite enjoyed getting lost in Ayla's world as she finally gets to meet Jondalar's people. One more to go.

95. The Coffins of Little Hope
This is a delightful story about a small town with big dramas. Lovely writing about family, the world of publishing, missing children and the fine line between fact and fiction.

No comments: