September 5, 2011

Recent Reads

88. Mastering Sketching
While I would not say that I mastered sketching, this book is chock-full on information, ideas and inspiration. Loved it.

89. Before I Go To Sleep
This debut novel is getting quite a bit of buzz and I really liked it. Imagine what it would be like if you woke up every morning and could not remember the past couple decades of your life. Not even what happened yesterday. We are our memories, are we not? It is what makes us who we are. Our anchor in this crazy thing we call life. Even though we know that memories are unreliable and get changed every time we access them, there is still this sense that we remember. And because we remember we know who we are. The book explores who we are when we do not remember our lives. Much to think about.

90. The Exquisite Book
A fun artistic collaboration. Love books with pages that fold out - gives me a sense of tactile play as well as a delightful feast for my eyes.

91. The Family Fang
Another novel that is getting a lot of buzz, so decided to check it out. Such a strange, tragic, funny, quirky story about a family. There are parts that had me laughing uncontrollably. An insightful look at how parents influence/damage their kids, and how everyone tries to survive the best way they know how. This is a hard book to describe, but give it a read. I certainly enjoyed my romp through the craziness that is Fang.

What are you reading right now?

No comments: