June 6, 2011

Birds

It is hard when you live in climes that have essentially 10 weeks of summer - so much to pack in to such a short time.

We've got interesting bird activity in the yard this season.

There is a bird (mourning dove maybe) that has made it's nest under the porch. She (he?) has been patiently sitting in the nest for weeks and does not seem fazed at all by any noises we make. Cannot wait to see what happens.

Then there was the robin that built a nest on the windowsill earlier this spring. Came home from a trip to find the nest abandoned and a cracked blue egg in it.

And then just a couple of minutes ago looked out the window and saw a huge scavenger bird (vulture? buzzard? do we even have those in these parts?) swoop down to pick up some road kill. When I say huge, I mean huge - wing span at least 5 feet.

I clearly need to dig out my birding book so I can start to identify all these visitors.

No comments: