January 29, 2011

David Kato

I am sick to my stomach this morning after reading about what happened to David Kato in Uganda. You can read the article here. What some people do in the name of their religious beliefs sickens me.

I believe that a big part of the problem is the demonizing of "the other". Intolerance is bred by the perpetuation of ignorance. In recent discussions with "liberal" women, I've had to play devils advocate to the ranting and intolerance I encountered. I simply do not understand how anyone can take a strong stance for or against something when they cannot articulate both sides of the issue. Where have those debate skills learned in primary school gone? When did we get so sure that we are right, and the other is wrong?

Am heartened by people like Elizabeth Lesser who suggest such a simple thing: Take the "Other" to lunch. You can see her talk here.

As the Mahatma said: Be the change you want to see in the world. Take the Other to lunch and be the light that chases away the darkness.

No comments: