March 29, 2016

Journal page (before and after)

The thing about always having a sketchbook on hand, is that when inspiration strikes you've got a piece of paper handy. I was at my local Barnes and Noble the other day, and while looking through a magazine, I saw an image that caught my eye. I whipped out my small DIY traveler's notebook and started to sketch this girl. The photo below was taken right before I left the store, and you can see all the supplies I had on hand - my journal and a pen.

(Click on image to enlarge)

The photo above shows how much I got done while at the store. What you see below is how I completed the page at home later that day.

(Click on image to enlarge)

This page did not take hours to create, and I did it in two sessions. Sometimes we do not have the time or energy to do complicated art, but with a pen and paper in hand it took me about 5-7 minutes to capture the essence of something that caught my eye. Later, it took another 10 minutes to finish up the sketch and add some watercolor. And that's all there is to it. It looks nothing like the image that inspired me, but that was not my goal. All I wanted to do was capture a moment of inspiration. Done and done.

No comments: